I love zucchini and I love finding new ways to make dishes with it. I found this recipe to make stuffed zucchini and knew I had to try it out. I slightly tweaked the orginal recipe by substituting ground turkey and I didn’t include all the cheeses.
Servings: 4-5 people, Prep time: 15 minutes, Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 4 large zucchini, sliced lengthwise and middle scooped out and reserved.
- 3/4 lb lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup chopped red/yellow/green peppers in any combination
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar
- 1/4 cup of parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 green onion, sliced thin
- Brown turkey, peppers, onions and the middle part of the zucchini that was scooped out. Leave “boats” on a sprayed sheet pan.
- Add taco seasoning and water. Stir and simmer a few minutes until seasoning is equally distributed.
- In a large bowl, add turkey, cheddar, parsley. Mix well.
- Spoon mixture into each zucchini boat.
- Bake 400* for 30 minutes. If zucchini is not done, return to oven and check after 10 more minutes.
- Remove, sprinkle mozzarella cheese and return to oven. Turn heat off. Cheese will melt in 3-5 minutes. Top with green onions and serve.
When making this recipe I found that I had to cook it for longer and the zucchini does get more moist as it is cooked. Make sure you line your baking sheet so if the stuffing falls off it will be easier to clean.
I really enjoyed this recipe, as did my entire family! I hope you enjoy!