I can tell your mouth is already watering from the title of this recipe. I only recently discovered how fantastic tacos are. I went to a taco truck outside this bar one night and completely fell in love. I don’t know why I haven’t been eating tacos, but there isn’t a better time than the present to begin. I decided to do a taco night at home and used this recipe below:
Servings: 4-6 people, Prep time: 30 minutes, Cook time: 30 minutes
There are 4 parts to this recipe: the shrimp, red cabbage slaw, avocado and chipotle crema:
- For the honey lime tequila shrimp tacos ~~
- 2 pounds (454 g) raw shrimps, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- juice of 2 limes + 1 lime
- ½ cup tequila
- 1 medium onion, finely minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground chipotle (optional)
- 2 avocados, diced
- ½ head of red cabbage, thinly sliced
- ~~ For the slaw dressing ~~
- ¼ cup (60 ml) freshly squeezed lime juice [about 2-3 limes]
- 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup light, neutral oil, such as grapeseed
- ~~ For the chipotle crema ~~
- 1 cup (250 ml) sour cream or créme fraîche [low fat can be used]
- 1 to 2 pieces of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce [canned]
- ~~ For assembly ~~
- 12 – 15 homemade or store-bought good quality yellow or white corn tortilla
- a handful of cilantro, finely chopped
- Wash, peel, devein, and dry raw shrimps. Season with salt.
- In a bowl, combine honey, lime juice, tequila, onion, cumin, and chipotle powder (if using). Mix well and toss shrimps in marinade. Chill up to 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Heat grill to 400 F (205 C). Make sure to oil the grilles well. Skewer shrimps in soaked wooden sticks (this will make it easier to handle on a grill).
- Grill shrimps until bright or just opaque, about 2 minutes each side. Flip the shrimp skewers and cook for another 2 minutes or until they turn bright orange. Alternatively, you can also pan fry the shrimps. Set cooked shrimps aside.
- Dice the avocados and squeeze juice from the remaining 1 lime.
- Thinly slice the red cabbage using a sharp knife or a mandolin.
- To make the dressing for the red cabbage slaw, put the lime juice, Dijon mustard, sea salt, pepper and oil in a jar or bowl. Whisk vigourously until it emulsifies.
- Toss the red cabbage with the lime vinaigrette. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, to make the chipotle crema, place the chipotles in the bowl of the food processor and give it a good whirl until it is smooth.
- Stir in the sour cream or créme fraîche, mixing well until the colour is even. Transfer chipotle crema in a squeeze bottle.
- To assemble the tacos, heat tortilla in a dry pan, about 1 minute per side or until lightly browned or charred. Wrap tortilla in a cloth to prevent from drying out. Set aside, covered.
- Place some diced avocados in the middle of the tortilla, followed by the red cabbage slaw. Remove skewers from shrimps and pile on the taco.
- Drizzle with the chipotle crema and garnish with cilantro. Serve immediately.
What really tied together these tacos was the chipotle crema sauce….so GOOD…happy cooking!